Mel Tackles Literature: Five Minutes of Film: Gone With The Wind

Monday, November 17, 2008

Five Minutes of Film: Gone With The Wind



In the finale of the film, Gone With The Wind, the forlorn protagonist, Scarlett O’Hara comes to an ultimate realization. Everything that she has worked for, the strife and hardship means almost nothing when she loses the true love of her life, Rhett Butler. The final scene is one of the most groundbreaking and memorable endings. It is also has its place in controversy. Rhett utters the line, “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn,” which had censors in the 1930’s wringing their hands in protest. Such things were not said before a Depression-era crowd, for it was considered offensive and vulgar. The studio that produced Gone With The Wind had to pay a fine to keep the line in the film. Not only does this scene depict Scarlett’s determination and exceptionalism, it also represent the ultimate defiance in the societal standards of its day.


(I can expand on this, but I could honestly talk about GWTW all day. I'm sure you don't want to hear my drivel...)

2 comments:

Marianne said...

I would. I totally love that film! Plus, I'm in the process of reading the book. It's taken me like almost a year because I've been reading it off and on. It's very descriptive, but not in a bad way. I think it's becoming one of my favorite books.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen this film in YEARS. I want to watch it again. That last 5 minutes is so heartbreaking!