Mel Tackles Literature: Heavenly shades of night are falling, it's TWILIGHT time...

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Heavenly shades of night are falling, it's TWILIGHT time...

It's time to talk about...

...Twilight.

Now, I will try to phrase my words as diplomatically as possible. I will try to put my own personal prejudices aside, (remember, I like Gone With The Wind so that should reduce my credibility just a tad), and I will not give away plot to those who are in the middle of reading, or are planning to read it.

I realize that the Twilight craze is a little "so last month," with the release of the movie that did not meet its hyped expectations. It took me about a month, since I had school and what not, but I read all four books in this series. I wanted to get in on that craze and I wanted to find out for myself, "what's the big deal?"

My praises for Stephenie Meyer's series is that she is able to project the crystal-clear picture of a hormonal, post-adolescent girl grappling with normal teenage stuff and the rise of womanhood. This is why so many young girls can relate with the novel's main character, Bella Swan. The writing is convincing enough that you do go through the motions right along with Bella.

(Bella, played by Kristen Stewart in the film)

Meyer also works well with suspense, stringing the reader along with intrigue. No matter how boring her prose can become, something wills you to continue. Perhaps it is the seductiveness of vampires? :P

Oh, I slipped. Yes, I said it. Her prose is boring. Most of the four novels have been written predominantly with dialogue advancing the storyline, alongside Bella's inner reflections. This is not a bad thing, per se, but when we do go into Bella's narration and her reflections, the scene is static and unmoving. I often zone out, drift, even fall asleep when this happens. Not to mention, the content--what Bella is saying is usually some sort of insecure drivel, which goes back to my earlier point about Meyer's convincing handle of teenage feelings. Bella's thinking about this, feeing insecure about that, dreaming about Edward Cullen this...

(played by Cedric Diggory, I mean, Robert Pattinson in the film)

Bella is obsessed with Edward--no question about that. She constantly describes how beautiful he is, how his icy cold skin turns her on, how he smells like honey and lilac, and even his breath is the sweetest, most wondrous thing in the world...

That's fine, but we get it the first time, Bells. He's hot, you want him. Understood.

The relationship between Bella and Edward isn't that developed, though. It seems rather shallow and superficial, based on feelings, looks, and yes, hormones. Bella's freak-nasty. Her relationship with Jacob Black, her eventual best friend, is much more developed through the beginning of the series. I want to know why she's spouting out that she loves Edward so much, so early in the first book.


(Kind of a hot image, actually...)

Meyer's writing is definitely long-winded. Twilight is 500 pages long, and yet I still yearn for a stronger emotional attachment between Bella and Edward, that I'm just not getting. But anyway, I too, am long-winded, unfortunately. So if this post has done nothing but sallivate your thirst to read the series, watch the film, or made you very angry...great! Let's talk Twilight.

(to be continued...)

1 comment:

Nina Mason said...

Melanie:

Good analysis of the Twilight series. You might enjoy my analysis of the archetypes operating in the books. I think the archetypes give power to the relationship that the writing doesn't.

On my blog: ninamasondolls.blogspot.com

Nina