Mel Tackles Literature: Found My First Book (Novel Attempt?)

Friday, September 11, 2009

Found My First Book (Novel Attempt?)

I just found the first novel/book I wrote that I wrote around the ages of 9 to 12, perhaps. It's called The Triple D Mortuary and Graveyard. HA! Emo much? I read a lot of R.L. Stine at that age... :/

And in this story, a 10-year-old boy named Tim who is fascinated with graveyards receives a ghostly visitor. In the cemetery by his home, he finds the grave of his father. He never knew much about his father, barely knew his name. His mother never explained much, and she was a coarse lady, not very nice to Tim.

Late one night, when he's visiting the cemetery, a ghostly spirit appears to him and then later appears in his home. This frightens Tim terribly, and he's afraid that he's disrupted the status quo of the cemetary, for whatever reason.

Along the way, he meets his sidekick while visiting the cemetery at night. The sidekick turns out to be Clint Eastwood, who becomes a father figure to Tim. He also helps Tim figure out how to shake the white demons that follow him.

Somewhere along the way, the story twists and Tim and Clint become separated. This is when the writing gets particularly hazy (I might have been 11 or 12 at this point). He steps into a house, where, in an almost Nabokovian (though I didn't know it was Nabokovian at the time!), Lolita-esque way, a young girl coaxes him to have sex with her. She's being coy, she's being cute.

And then the story ends because I was probably either too shy to write sex or develop the story further. It's kinda odd, random. And goes to show that even kids at that age think about sex. It's unsettling, perhaps. Maybe a little disturbing, too...LOL But ya know, we writers are disturbed people. Edgar Allan Poe, ya know?

That is all. LOL. Thought it was interesting.

1 comment:

Jen Palmares Meadows said...

This made me laugh. I recently came across my first novel attempt as well. I wrote it in 6th grade and it was called "The Road to Death." Very grisly--heads rolling out of backpacks and things like that.