Mel Tackles Literature: Upper-Division Writing Proficiency Exam

Monday, September 1, 2008

Upper-Division Writing Proficiency Exam

It's acronym is UDWPE. This exam is a test where you write an essay because some omnipotent overlord has mandated a certain standard of writing. This test shall determine if you have adequate writing skills before you can be sent off into the real world. I have actually heard stories of students that fail the exam. Sometimes students fail the exam multiple times. On the flip side, I have had people tell me, "Oh, it's such an easy test!" and "You're an English major. It'll be nothing for you!"

Will it really be nothing? It is writing, something that I might have a little bit of experience with...but it's still a test. I am not a fabulous test taker. I actually passed my driver's permit test the first time, with almost a perfect score. Well, I missed five questions, and that's not near perfect, but I still passed on my first try. The driver's exam behind the wheel is another story. I failed the exam twice before the third time was the charm. I took the notary public exam twice and failed them both and decided to not retake the test because who would trust a notary public who knows nothing? I wasted about $80, (that included class fee + two tests) and felt very ashamed. Even when I took my Catholic high school entrance exam, I didn't even finish the test, but somehow I was still accepted to high school. Yeah, I'm a very uneven and inconsistent test taker and the times that I do pass, it's down to some kind of luck or a guardian angel ushering me the right way.

Essentially, I'm nervous. I need to pass the UDWPE in order to graduate, and I would rather not take the exam multiple times and shell out $20 per exam. Ridiculous.

No comments: