Mel Tackles Literature: Why I Like and Don't Like Hooters

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Why I Like and Don't Like Hooters


I will say I don't like Hooters because of reasons that aren't so obvious. I'm not bothered by busty women clad in short shorts and tennis shoes serving sallivating men. I have a lot of respect for those women. Being a server is hard enough, so that can't be an easy job and I'm sure it's taxing not only physically, but mentally as well. I can't imagine having to sit down and flirt with men I'm not particularly fond of, or find attractive.

With that said, I am going to start with why I do enjoy Hooters. I don't eat at Hooters often. In fact, I have only sat down to eat there once. I enjoy chicken wings. I enjoy that man food. I enjoy that greasy, salty, cholesterol saturated mess because it's damn delicious and my tongue sings when I taste it. I don't care that it's deep fried in oil chicken wings, smothered in a mixture of hot sauce and butter. God, that's good. I digress...the point is that that is a delicious wing and though I don't eat it often, it is a sure treat when I do.

I wouldn't say the atmosphere at Hooters is too cozy. It's reminiscent of what would happen if a women's gym met a sports bar and bore a love child. It will do, though. I went there a whole year ago with a friend of mine and we shared a plate of wings and fries. She ordered a beer to wash it all down. I had water, *sigh*. Unfortunately, I hadn't reached the grand ol' age of 21 yet.

Our server was a beautiful brunette lady, buxom and spry. I am confident enough with my sexuality to say that yes she was beautiful, buxom, and spry. She was very nice, and it didn't seem forced, superficial, or fake at all. I can usually see right through superficiality, too. Either that, or she's a pretty damn good actress. I think for her, serving my friend and I was a nice break because she didn't have to go into flirt mode. She could be one of the girls for just a short moment in time. When we left, she even told us that we should come back on Sunday, for a football game.

"All these young, hot boys will be there," she said excitedly. Now this really tickled my fancy and titillated my hormonal insides. How else is a young, single gal in L.A. supposed to react to a statement like that? So it was nice that our server was relatable, she felt human, and she felt, well...almost like a friend.

Here's the real downside. After our nice meal, my friend and I decided to top off the meal and buy Hooters shirts, because we were so impressed with our experience. I decided to buy a T-shirt that was on sale for $9.99. Normally, the shirts cost $23.99, A week later, I looked at my bank statement and noticed that I had been charged $35.00 at Hooters for my T-shirt! I knew it wasn't from my meal, because I had paid for it in cash. They had basically charged me the sale price in addition to the normal price, which is why it cost $35.

I went back to the store to take it up with a manger. She took my name down and said that she would send it over to corporate and that they would give me a call. They never did call me and I never did get a chance to go back to that Hooters.

What could have been a 5-star experience for me turned out to be merely a 2.5. I had had all faith in Hooters, but it was slashed when I never got my money back. The shirt I own is now tainted with the memory. It doesn't say Hooters to me. It says $35 T-shirt. Maybe I'll come back again when I'm not a poor college student and money is no object.

No comments: