Mel Tackles Literature: Chaos in the City

Monday, October 13, 2008

Chaos in the City

Here's another good dystopic observation. Campus was closed today, due to the fires in Porter Ranch. I am wishing for everyone's safety out there, by the way!

Well I noticed that there was something eerie in the air, and I don't mean the smoke and ash floating around. Everyone had a solemn look, and walked like zombies. Weather-beaten and exhausted, it was just another manic Monday, right?

I noticed things were extra fishy when my broccoli cheese soup from Subway just didn't taste right. Then there seemed to be plenty of parking in the parking structures. This was very odd behavior, indeed!

Then hallways were empty. At 1:45, the hallways of Jerome Richfield are never empty.

I went to my professor's office and she said that the entire campus was closed. No classes today.

No classes?! You mean I drove all that way, worked my ass off this whole weekend to get everything done by Monday, and...classes are cancelled?

So I fled! I fled campus and people were driving worse than normal. Intersections were blocked. Ambulances and fire trucks blasted through the lanes, weaving in and out of the way. I got on the freeway. And here was something that I had never seen before.

Traffic was backed up horribly on the 118 West. I literally saw cars pull over to the right and drive in reverse to the next exit, Balboa Blvd. It was like synchronized driving; all the cars in one line at the same speed backing up to Balboa Blvd. It was surely a sight to see!

This was chaos. This was dystopia in action. This is what happens to people in these bizarre moments that throw off your day. It's lunacy, I say. Sheer lunacy!

No comments: