Mel Tackles Literature: WebCT post: 10/02: Planet of the Apes

Thursday, October 2, 2008

WebCT post: 10/02: Planet of the Apes

I enjoyed Planet of the Apes. It might be because I have an overactive imagination, but when I read a story that I enjoy, I like to immerse myself fully into that world. It’s how I get a feel for the story, the setting, the surroundings, the characters, the action, and the plot. I saw the ape society described in the novel and it was actually frightening to me. I didn’t want to see a world where humans are low-class heathens, whose intelligence is undermined. I didn’t want a world where someone was discriminated against because of blood, genetics, or species, as we saw in the Heston film, Gattaca, and even the snippet from Harry Potter. :P I think, had the apes lived harmoniously with the humans and accepted them as intellectual equals, then I wouldn’t be so hung up about it. Then again, we wouldn’t have much of a story, would we? Even so, the fact that I was so immersed and so horrified at the close-mindedness of the apes, I think that’s a good thing because it shows just how affecting the novel is.

It may play into my own insecurities because I somehow don’t want to believe that humanity is fragile—but we are. Here is an allegory for what we can become if we crumble and fall apart as a society. There could be an uprising during vulnerable times. Maybe not by apes, per se, but by anything: dictatorships, anarchy, what have you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if this is relevent or not, but the same can be said about the movie, "The Birds" with Alfred Hitchcock (based on the short story by Daphne DuMaurier, the author of the novel, "Rebecca." In the film and short story, birds begin to attack humans in a seemingly deliberate way. Though I think the short story reflected more on politics of war, it can also be seen as nature vs. humans. The humans didn't think that birds could be intelligent enough to purposely attack humans, the superior species in the world. They were wrong and soon became terrorized and subjected to the birds' violence.

We, as humans, do believe we are superior and we can do whatever we want to this world, but sooner or later it will bite us in the ass. In fact, it may have already started with global warming. Our carelessness is causing the world to change so much and it can be seen as a direct response to how we have affected it. As we have seen in the billions of years of history, Earth has gone through some really shitty times (i.e. Ice Age) but it always picks up...but not without the elimination of a species. We need to be careful with how we treat the earth or else our descendants are going to have to deal with the ramifications of our actions.

Melanie said...

Nice observation! You should be in my class, lol.

Anonymous said...

We'd never get anything done if I was and you know it!